Sunday 24 July 2011

24 JUL 11 -- Squat Sunday

Two days where I missed my squat workout. Friday, I was so tired from the night shifts, plus running around doing errrands,  I never made it to the gym. Saturday, my youngest son had a baseball tournament in the morning till afternoon. It was so hot outside, that by the time I was feeling recovered, it was almost closing time for the gym (they close at 5 p.m. on Saturday), so I never made it down there. Which, incidentally, may have been a good thing, because the extra rest added to a comeback which culminated in a very good workout today: a squat workout which was remedial for the upset of two squat sessions ago.


Squat training max is 500 lbs, and today is the 3 x 3 session in the wave.

Warm up sets

135 x 5
205 x 5
250 x 5
300 x 3

Working sets

405 x 3 (added 5 lbs to make it an even 8 plates)
425 x 3
450 x 6

The reps were all nice and smooth, and I was feeling pumped for some more.

Singles

465 x 1
475 x 1
490 x 1
500 x 1

The last single was the most I have ever squatted, and I could have added more. My depth was a bit above where I would have liked it, but it was still a nice squat. For assistance work today, I forsook the regular 5 x 10 with 50% to work more on power. I set the pins in the rack and trained the quarter-squat, where you go down a quarter of the distance and then up again:

570 x 5
585 x 5
600 x 5

I was going to do some speed squats at 225 lbs, but the 5 reps I put up were not fast at all, although I went as deep as I could, ass to the grass. At that point, I knew my legs were steamed out, so I called it for the day.  It was an excellent workout, I had some great results, and squatting an even 500 lbs was a nice boost for the confidence. Overall, I'm very happy.

By the way, I have reached one of my goals for 2011. One down, four more to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment