Wednesday 6 July 2011

06 JUL 11 -- Man vs. Tire

Today is a day off from weight lifting, although cardio or conditioning is still supposed to be done. Ideally, I would have done some hill sprints, weighted sled pulls and the like. However, I decided it would be more fun to take my youngest son out for breakfast at a local diner and then spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon with him. My wife was working today, so later I had to take him to my parents so he could be looked after while I went to work for a 3-11 shift. Quality time with the kids is just that, and is always a priority over training.

Once again, more double-dipping on the job. I had a 660 lbs tire brought over to the parking lot, and during my lunch break, I forsook food to feast instead on heavy exertion, sweat, and lots of oxygen which my lungs were heaving for! I hadn't flipped a tire that heavy since last August's strongman competition, and on the first flip, I knew that the flips weren't going to be as quick and smooth as Sunday's session with the 540-pounder. It was hard work and the form I practiced on Sunday basically went out the window with the bigger tire, lol.

So, the first round was ten consecutive flips, with pauses increasing steadily as I went along. The tire was full of water and each flip splashed out a puddle as it moved forward. I realized that to gain a competitive time for the August event, I'm going to have to:

a. Develop more speed and fluidity.
b. Practice, practice, practice.

I have the strength to flip the tire, but I will need better form, improved economy of motion, and better conditioning to increase speed. This of course will come with training and lots of practice, but the glowing fact remains that some competitors are going to have more than just an edge, as they practice tire flips on a regular basis and will have more experience on this event than me. I'll keep at it regardless.

I worked on a second set of 5 flips, and on this set, I lost some momentum on the fourth flip, resulting in the tire coming back down and hitting my right wrist. It's swollen at the moment, and I'll be getting a nice bruise within several hours.

After a short rest, I did two fast flips to see what my time was while a co-worker monitored the watch. 13 seconds for two flips, or 6.5 seconds average for one. I need 6 seconds for one flip, and the means to deliver ten flips with no rest or pause. One final flip and I called it a wrap, being careful not to overdo it with an anticipated wrist injury on the way. The total was 18 flips.

I think that later this week, possibly Friday, I will work some tire flips again. I am considering using the 540 tire, and training with it for cardio, shooting for up to thirty fast flips. We'll see how it goes over the next two days with this wrist.

No comments:

Post a Comment