Monday 11 July 2011

11 JUL 11 -- Overhead Press

Had a day of rest yesterday. I needed it!

I've got 5 weeks before the competition, so I am reverting to the normal layout of 5/3/1, while skipping the deload weeks (which would have been this week). I'll save the deload for after the competition. Like a kid cramming for exams, I want to get as much training and practice into these next few weeks as possible, then take a brief rest before the day of the competition.

Overhead press bumps up 5 lbs as I'm into a new wave, so the training max is now 235 lbs:

Warm up sets
45 x 15
95 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 3

Working sets
155 x 5
175 x 5
200 x 8

In previous waves, I've hit 9 reps on 200 lbs. I may have been able to do one more, but stopped there. Then, because I need the practice, I decided to work on some push presses. I don't have a log press to train with for the competition (I am going to have to get one of these at some point if I continue in this sport), so the push press is a good substitute for log press training, as it trains the same mechanics and motions.

205 x 2, 225 x 2, 230 x 2, 235 x 1, and 240 x 1

I haven't done any push presses in a long time, so these were much needed. I think Wendler would have me do these on the 3x3, or 5/3/1 weeks, but as stated, I needed the practice. They went up nice and smooth.

Assistance work was military press for 5 x 10 at 140 lbs, followed by bodyweight chin ups (13, 9, 6, 5, 5, 6, 6 = total of 50). I am working 11-7 shift again, and I think it showed on the chin ups. I felt clumsy jumping up for the bar, and actually started giggling before the last set because I was wondering if I was going to be able to make the jump. Don't mind me, I'm crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment