Thursday 1 September 2011

01 SEP 11 -- Back from Vacation

I was able to get away for a few days to do some camping with the family. I just got back yesterday. I'm feeling tired today and I'm a bit sunburned from time on the beach with the kids and the dog. Camping outings are great fun, but they leave me a bit tired as opposed to refreshed.

I trained the overhead press today. It's 3 x 5 week, and the weight was upped 5 lbs to 245.

Warm up sets

45 x 15
100 x 5
125 x 5
145 x 3

Working sets

160 x 5
185 x 5
210 x 3

Yep...3 reps. If you recall my whining from the last overhead workout, I'm having problems as of late meeting reps which previously went up alright. Something is happening with this, and I'm wondering what to do. Is it time to recalculate, and go for 10% less on my training maxes, or do I need to make a correction somewhere else? It's strange, and if one of the readers wants to make a suggestion, I'm all ears.

I did some push presses to get some extra work in.

215 x 1
220 x 1
225 x 1

I tried to get 230 up, but it wasn't going to happen.

I did some shoulder work for assistance, but went the dumbbell route on this:

Seated dumbbell press 60 lbs for 5 x 10
Standing one arm dumbbell press 35 lbs for 2 x 15 each side, working on speed and crispness.
Double dumbbell clean and press 40 x 8, 45 x 8, 50 x 8

I would really like to get a log press and start training that lift, but I need to find an old cylinder so I can get it welded into the finished form. I used to work as a certified welder for a couple of years, but I haven't welded since 1995, so I am going to have a fellow strongman/welder finish this project for me. He will fabricate it to competition spec, and that will help with training the log press event.

In the meantime, it just may be time to recalculate my training max for overhead press. My other lifts are progressing, but this one is regressing for some reason unknown to me. Getting only 3 reps on 210 is wacky, since I passed this mark months ago. It may be that the past two overhead sessions were done at less than optimal times, and this is a possible coincidence, but it is a bit frustrating after all the hard workouts leading up to it. Oh well, that's part of the iron game.



No comments:

Post a Comment