Tuesday 20 September 2011

20 SEP 11 -- Seconds at the Squat Smorgasbord

I love buffets! Whether it be a Chinese buffet, all you can eat, or a nice roast beef smorgasbord or seafood buffet, I like hitting it. And hitting it hard...

Today was another round at the squat buffet. Lots of squats, lots of leg work. It's 5/3/1 day in the wave, and the training max is 520 lbs.

Warm up sets

135 x 5
210 x 5
260 x 5
310 x 3

Working sets

390 x 5
440 x 3
495 x 2

I think I might have been able to get a third rep on the last set, but decided to keep it at that. It was a good set, I felt confident with the weight, and it was very cool to see the bar do a jiggle at the top, lol!

Assistance work was very basic today: 260 lbs squats for 5 x 10

I spent time again with the front squat.

135 x 10
175 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5

I still am having difficulty with my wrist flexibility, so these were all cross-armed front squats. Looking at Youtube vids of other strongmen doing front squats, I noticed a lot of them are doing them cross-armed, and with quite a bit of weight on the bar too. I will keep trying to get those wrists bent back. In the meantime, my form felt better on these front squats in the cross-armed position and I found that by focusing my gaze on a point close to the ceiling, the movement felt very balanced and was not uncomfortable.

No overhead squats today. I had to get back to the house and get ready for the rest of the day. Tomorrow will be cardio, and as my fellow 5/3/1 devotee Gabe Malone is doing lots of, it will be hill sprints. Thanks for the inspiration, Gabe! Check out Gabe's blog here:

A Year on Wendler's 5/3/1

No comments:

Post a Comment