Monday 19 September 2011

19 SEP 11 -- Health Clubs

In power lifting circles, health clubs get a bum rap, often disparaged as being unconducive to hardcore training. Perhaps some of them are. The club I am training at, however, has been nothing short of supportive of my training and goals. I will add, though, that it is a two-way street, whereby showing some respect for other non-powerlifting members has been one of my ethics.

During my workouts, I could easily let myself roar like a lion on a heavy squat or scream like a Viking berserker during a max dead lift, but I generally keep it bottled up to a low grunt, lol. Also, no slamming the weights on the floor, just in case someone falls off the treadmill in the cardio room. At the same time, I have always been encouraged by the words and support of my fit friends at the club, and for that, I am grateful. Different goals, different means to those goals from the way I am training, but mutual respect for each other. As well, the owners of the club have been very supportive and accomodating to my needs. I have noticed a positive energy when I train there and it is tangible.

Anyways, to get back to the subject on hand, today is 5/3/1 for the bench press and the training max is 350 lbs.

Warm up sets

45 x 25
140 x 5
175 x 5
210 x 3

Working sets

265 x 5
300 x 3
335 x 5

The bench is still moving along.

Assistance work

Close-grip bench press done in strip fashion
225 x 10
220 x 10
215 x 10
210 x 2 x 10

Single dumbbell rows (each side)
100 x 10
115 x 2 x 10
120 x 10

Dips were bodyweight only today, as I was feeling a bit nauseated for some reason, and went as follows, 20, 10, 10, 10 for 50 total.

Face pulls 30 lbs x 10 (!), 50 x 2 x 10

I'm feeling better now. I don't know why I felt the nausea. Maybe it's morning sickness, lol :)

No comments:

Post a Comment