Friday 23 September 2011

23 SEP 11 -- An Unholy Trinity

I should be on a week-long deload after last week's 5/3/1, but I decided to take just a couple days off and then hit a new wave. After today's letdown, I think the deload may have been more necessary than I surmised. I've been avoiding the deload weeks for a long time, and if I'm going to follow Wendler's program as it is laid out, I had better start deloading when it's called for.

Overhead press 3 x 5 and the new training max is 250 lbs. Here we go:

Warm up sets (with cleans)

45 x 15
100 x 5
125 x 5
150 x 3

Working sets

165 x 5
190 x 5
215 x 3

Yep, that does piss me off. I was supposed to hit at least 5 reps for this last set, but lost drive at 3. Everything was tight, but at 3 reps, I just lost focus. There could be several reasons for this, the first one being that the deload should have been a priority, but I know that this morning when I woke up, my left shoulder was stiff from sleeping on that side. Also, I've had something on my mind for the last couple of days and it sort of predominated my thoughts during the workout. I'm not going to expand on it here, but it's bothering me to say the least. Like I said in my first blog entry, "ups and downs in training and in life". End of rant.

I made the decision to go back for some extra sets on the overhead press to make up for the lost reps on my final set. I went in strip fashion:

190 x 5
185 x 5
175 x 5
165 x 5

Press behind neck with the barbell:

125 x 2 x 8
130 x 8
135 x 8

One arm dumbbell press (each side):

40 x 15
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10
85 x 5

No chin ups or dips today. I had to get some important errands done. Apart from the two lost reps, it was a good workout and I trained as hard as I could. Last week was very good, so it stands that a bad workout will have to make it's way in at some point. That's just the way it is.

The Kinks:

No comments:

Post a Comment