Sunday 26 June 2011

My Last Training Session

First post from the training log.

My last training session was on Friday, June 24th. On this day, I was training the squat.

My training "max", or the number which I use to calculate working set percentages, is at the moment set at 490 lbs for the squat.

Warm Up Sets:
135 lbs x 5 reps
195 lbs x 5 reps
245 lbs x 5 reps
295 lbs x 3 reps

Working Sets:
390 lbs x 3 reps
415 lbs x 3 reps
440 lbs x 5 reps
Note -- The last set is the all-out set, and during this week of the program, I am only required to perform 3 reps as a requisite number, although the trainee is encouraged to get out as many as possible, with the exclusion of a rep or two, "in the hole". I had set my goal for the day at 6 reps, but on the fourth rep, I wasn't "feeling it", so I stopped at five. Not bad, but I don't like it when I don't hit my goal for the day. I always make a point of setting a reps goal for the final set before I hit the gym.

Then came some heavy singles:
455 lbs x 1, 475 lbs x 1, 485 lbs x 1. A few people in the gym were watching, I was starting to feel a little pump coming back, so I put 5 big plates on either side of the bar and hit a final single squat of 495 lbs. This was the most I have ever done in a full squat. I felt a surge of satisfaction and triumph.

I finished the legwork with Cybex universal leg presses, getting in some hypertrophy for the legs:
220 lbs x 20 reps, 240 lbs x 20 reps, 260 lbs x 20 reps.

My last bit of assistance work was bodyweight sit ups on the incline sit up bench: 2 x 20 reps.

Normally, I like to do 5x10 squats for the hypertrophy work at 50% of the working max, but given the heavy singles done today, I thought I would go easy on my lower back and stick to pure leg work with the machine presses. I will resume 5x10 squats this week as it will be the 3x5 week with no heavy singles behind the working sets.

Tomorrow will be the beginning of 3x5 week and I will be training the overhead press. I'll let you know how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment