Sunday 26 June 2011

My Approach to Training via the 5/3/1 Program

For those familiar with powerlifting and strength training, Jim Wendler needs little introduction. However, for the benefit of those not familiar, here's a quick link to read a little about the man and his  program, which is now ubiquitous in the strength community:

Jim Wendler and 5/3/1

This program is noted for both its simplicity and the gradual and consistent results it produces for its adherents. I became aware of this program last summer after doing some reading on strongman discussion boards and figured I would give it a go too. I purchased the e-book "5/3/1" and started the training program outlined in it late in August of 2010. I've deviated from the program twice. The first time was last October to late November. I was putting a week aside for deer hunting (a successful hunt if I may add), but after the hunt, my motivation went into a rut. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on with heavy strength training. However, I resolved myself to continue, and went forward on November 29th, recommencing the program. Injury struck on March 5th, 2011 while doing a heavy single overhead press. I was pressing 225 lbs and felt a distinct and sharp pull in my trap muscle, causing a great amount of pain in my neck. It was at that time that I figured I would try the Smolov squat program to focus on my squat and leg development. I will post a blog entry referring to this later.

I returned to the 5/3/1 program on April 11th. My trap had healed, my legs were stronger from several weeks of Smolov style training, and I wanted to resume the balanced training for the whole body which the 5/3/1 program provides. Coming back to 5/3/1 was like revisiting an old friend. I enjoy this program very much due to its emphasis on creating a balance between strength, muscle building and conditioning. Your strength levels will improve in gradual increments during each four week cycle, or wave, and it's fun to watch how many reps you can perform in your last set. I always bring a logbook to the gym for recording reps and poundages (it's an indispensable tool in the 5/3/1 program) and the log I have kept has charted slow, but steady progress, just as Wendler guarantees with his program. This program has also kept me relatively injury free. The trap pull mentioned earlier occurred on a max single, something which could have been prevented by not going so heavy and sticking to the use of submaximal weights as Wendler recommends.

To recap, I enjoy this program, it produces results, is extremely simple and easy to follow, and it's fun. I also enjoy the Wendler approach to training and life, as displayed in his writings. His program is serious, he's excelled in serious competition (at his last meet, a 675 lbs bench press, 700 lbs dead lift and 1000 lbs squat!), yet you can tell that he enjoys life and humor. To me, that's the way it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment